Are you worried about the smells that are coming from your shower drain? Are you fed up with the bad odors which are coming from your bathroom? Then just take a deep breath and relax because we can help you to get rid of these bad odors.
Yes, this article is just for you. This article will help you know why these bad odors and how to get rid of these bad odors. You can easily make your bathroom always smells fresh.
Say Goodbye to nasty smells just by trying the following methods which are given below to get rid of bad odors and make your bathroom clean and fresh. You just need to read this article carefully to get a solution to your problem.
Reasons Behind Shower Drain Bad Odors
There may be several reasons due to which your shower drain can start to smell.
1. Clogged Drains- This is the main cause of bad drain odors. Hair, dirt, sand, and soap scum could be stuck in your shower drain strainer. If clogs develop then several issues can develop and bad drain odors are one of them. (How to Free a Clogged Bathtub Drain Filled with Hair)
2. P-trap- Your P-trap could not be working properly. The main reason for your bad drain smell is a dried p-trap. Dry P-trap allows sewer gases to build back up into your home and this can result in a drain that smells bad.
3. Odor causing bacteria- Smell in the shower drain is also caused by bacteria that feed on debris in the pipe. This bacterium then causes a foul odor in your bathroom.
4. Leakage in pipes- If there is any leakage in pipes then your bathroom will smell like an old basement. Because there is no way for water to dry due to constantly pouring out. Leaky pipes will allow sewer gases to escape and make your bathroom smell like sewage.
5. Malfunctioning vent pipe- Vent pipes allow the sewer gases to escape out. If your vent pipe could not working properly or it was not properly installed then sewer gases can leak. Due to leakage of sewer gases, it can cause a bad smell in your bathroom.
6. Mold and mildew- Mold and mildew can grow at any place where moisture is present. Mold thrives in humid and wet conditions. Mold has darker colors like green and black and mildew begins as white, then changes to brown or grey color. But it can cause serious health problems to those who are sensitive to it.
7. Biofilm- Biofilm is a bacteria that builds upon the walls of pipes. Biofilm is a collection of many species of bacteria. It can clog your pipes and can be dangerous to your health.
Some common bad odors are-
❖ Foul smell
❖ Musty smell
❖ Rotten egg smell
❖ Dirty socks
Reason for Rotten Egg Smell
The smell of rotten eggs comes from a gas known as hydrogen sulfide which is formed when bacteria grows in the drain. Hydrogen sulfide is a colorless gas that has the characteristic odor of rotten eggs. People can smell it at a low level.
Reason for Musty Smell
Musty means unclean, stale, and moldy smell. Musty smells take time to develop.
The main reason for a musty smell in your bathroom is the presence of mold or mildew.
Musty smell rises due to leaky pipes, a damaged roof, and high humidity.
How to Get Rid of the Drain Smell?
Often when noticing any nasty smell, the first thought is “how do I get rid of it?” Let’s try the following methods to eliminate shower drain odors.
1. By use of baking soda and vinegar
Take a cup of baking soda and white vinegar. Firstly, pour baking soda into the drain and then pour white vinegar.
Instantly you will be able to see the bubbles which will form with a cracking sound. Cover the drain and wait for a few minutes, then flush with hot water.
This method is very easy and convenient. And you will find a good result.
2. By use of boiling water
This is the simplest and easiest way to get rid of the drain smell. Firstly you need to boil the water for 10-15 minutes.
Then pouring boiling water into the drain will help to break down the grease and soap that hold the clog together.
3. Coffee grounds
Coffee grounds help to eliminate bad odors. The mixture of coffee grounds and hot water will act as a drain cleaner. Coffee grounds act as a great deodorizer because the ground can absorb odors.
This is one of the household techniques you can do easily. Mix one cup of bleach and one cup of water, then pour down the mixture in the drain.
After 10-15 minutes flush the drain with hot water. Don’t leave the bleach for a much longer time because it may corrode your pipes.
5. Fix a P-trap
P-trap is a U-shaped fixture of a pipe. It is used to trap liquid or gas to prevent unwanted flow.
It also stops sewer gases from backing into your home through the drain line. You should clean your plumbing traps at least four times a year.
6. Use Air Freshener
An air freshener helps in removing these bad odors from your bathroom and makes your bathroom always smell fresh. You can also use automatic air fresheners in your bathroom. They release pleasant smells automatically in the air.
7. Regular Cleaning
Clean your bathroom daily. This is not only good for maintenance but it should also help to reduce unpleasant odors from your bathroom.
See also: How to Dissolve Hair in a Shower Drain
When you go to your bathroom to take a shower, all you expect to smell is your soap and face wash. But bad odors and nasty smells in your bathroom make you cut your shower short.
Sometimes, your shower drain smells like rotten eggs or dirty socks which are unbearable.
To get rid of these unpleasant odors we have provided the above information to guide you and we will assure that you will get the best results by using these techniques.